By Lindsey Theis
The purple pinwheel in Michelle Leopold’s front yard symbolizes overdose awareness. She’s a “tough mother” fighting against fentanyl. Her first-born son Trevor died when he was only 18 years old in his dorm room, after taking what he believed to be an oxycodone pill that was, unbeknownst to him, laced with fentanyl.
Leopold told Scripps News about Trevor. He was always an adventurous eater; by age 4 he loved sushi and brussel sprouts.
“He always was inquisitive and loved to know how things worked, love to learn about animals, about rocks, anything, nature. I do feel like he is here supporting me in this activism,” said Leopold.
This week, Narcan rolls off the production line and onto drugstore shelves. The nasal spray is the first FDA approved over-the-counter medicine to reverse opioid overdose.